I’m on a quest to find good nature blogs. This is a collection of links to the ones I liked best. I love photography with evocative prose. Feel free to add the ones you love to the comment section below.
My own blog here at Wild Ozark is filled with nature photography, like the fungi below, art and my own musings along with posts about our homesteading life and the woodland plants.
I have artwork, too.
But my blogging on nature and my art is pretty much focused on the small area of Wild Ozark. I love nature from all over though, so I’m building a list of the other nature blogs out there that inspire and evoke in me a love of nature.
I hope they give you the same sense of how sacred our Earth and all the life on it is.
What Type of Blogs Do I Seek?
It’s easier to say what I don’t want.
- Old and not updated for years
- Too scholarly
- Too tedious to navigate or read
Nature.com is a well-written and informative site, but they’re too academic for my purpose with this list. Tumblr blogs are just too tedious to me, so I generally don’t list any of the ones I find hosted there.
What I like most is sparse but compelling writing. I especially love recorded thoughts or phrases that really make me think deeply. Or blogs with just plain interesting things about the natural world. Oh, and I also want beautiful/inspiring photography and/or artwork.
I did eventually find quite a few nature blogs that work for me, and many of you have suggested your own or others that you’ve loved. Thank you for that! If you don’t see the one you already know and love listed here, link it in the comments and I’ll add it to the list if it satisfies my criteria.
Some of the links aren’t SSL (https://), so I can’t link directly to them because my site is secure and to link non-secure links messes up things, but I’ve visited and at the time of this writing, they are clean sites.
Nature Blog Roll Call
Submit yours if you have one, or suggest your favorites and I’ll add them to the list below.
- oneforestfragment.com – It’s about the life of a small urban forest – where Rosemary Bauman works to restore the native plant community, and improve habitat for the creatures that live there.
- Commonbynature.co.uk is a site owned by photographer and nature lover James Common. He also has a list of wildlife blogs on his site, but he also is a nature blogger himself. Here’s a post about a topic of much debate, “alien invasives”: https://commonbynature.co.uk/2017/09/08/half-penny-aliens-and-interlopers/
- Shirley Fox Art – a weekly blog based on the bestseller “The Hidden Life of Trees”. Every week she creates a new painting based on the next chapter of the book.
- Chert Hollow Farm – a very nice collection of photo-essays chronicling six years of landscape and ecosystem observations in Missouri. www.cherthollowfarm.com/landscape/
- Wilderness Forever Foundation – gorgeous photography and prose by Kush Patel and Adnan Savani from the continents of Africa and South America. Really nice work here.
- Jaimie Gould Country Diary – (The Country Diary of a Leicestershire Lady) A beautiful & informative blog focused on European and mainly British wildlife
- Ramble – a blog by the author of The Forest Unseen. This was a marvelous submission by Barbara Sprout (thank you!)
- The Bantering Bibliocrat – a delightful blog from an author in suburban North Carolina http://www.banteringbibliocrat.com/
- The Northwoods Guy – He created his blog with the hopes of bringing people closer to Nature through the works of Thoreau, Emerson, Abbey, etc, along with his own musings. www.northwoodsguy.com
- Patagonia Nature Journal – Lori’s blog of nature
- Lost Pines Life – Tammy Brown’s paintings, photos, and adventures at Little Piney in the Lost pines of Bastrop, TX. www.lostpineslife.com
- Wild Mountain Echos – listen to recordings of sounds of nature. Love this one! www.wildmountainechoes.com/2013/02/not-quite-spring-yet-3/
- Wild Ozark – my own blog 🙂
- Carl Bovis Nature Photography – he has the cutest photos of cygnets I’ve ever seen!
- Bird Light Wind – gorgeous photos and narration www.kitundu.com/birdlightwind
- Uprooted Magnolia – chronicles of life on a ranch in Wyoming. I love Wyoming, so couldn’t resist listing this one.
- ♥ Leaf and Twig – one of my favorites because her photos are gorgeous and her poetic captions are always evocative.
- the Whispering Earth – beautiful posts on herbal earth medicines
- The Woods Edge by Martin James Wood – this one is membership based, but there’s a few areas you can visit without paying a subscription fee.
- The Nature Preservation Project –fabulous photography. “Nature Preservation Project aims to acquire land to preserve and restore nature, and to bring the beauty to you through our photography.”
The following are not blogs, but other formats with lots of nature
- A music video with Cee Blue featuring some nice landscape footage from Whakapapa, New Zealand.
- Short Nature Videos – really heartfelt sharing of nature from Martel Clouds.